You play the role of a forest ranger who was sent on a rescue mission and ended up trapped on an island whose climate has suffered mysterious and drastic changes. Massive blizzards, freezing temperatures and hungry predators are some of the dangers that threaten your survival.
This is the core experience of Northern Lights. In less than a second, you find yourself helpless in front of the unforgiving Siberian wilderness. From being the hunter, you became the hunted. Stranded far from any human habitation, you have to endure the harsh arctic conditions, hunt for supplies, investigate the mystery and find a way to escape the island. There is no manual to show you how to survive. Your success depends on getting out there and using all your abilities to master necessary wilderness survival skills.
- Multiple Endings: In Northern Lights, your actions determine your fate. Each sandbox experience has a variety of potential endings to it. No matter what path you choose, your ultimate goal is to survive and escape the island.
- Choices & Outcomes: Keeping your stats under control is crucial. Not keeping your Hunger, Thirst, Body temperature and Fatigue in balance can have repercussions on your in-game Sanity.
- Only the strongest can survive: In Northern Lights, you will find a wide range of activities you can do. Be ready to hunt, fish, scavenge for food and gear items, map your surroundings, start fires, craft items, maintain your gear and most importantly, endure the harsh environment with its predators and the variety of possibly deadly afflictions you could contract.
- Be the hunter or become hunted: Diverse wildlife, ranging from ferocious predators such as Bears and Wolves to non-threatening animals such as the Reindeer, Moose, Foxes, Boars, Seals, and more to come in future updates!
- A broad and animated world: The island measures 100 square kilometers and it contains a delicate balance between pure nature and an abandoned world composed of a variety of locations. Exploration can be done on foot or if you are lucky enough, with a snowmobile.
Pick your challenge: You can choose between three difficulty scenarios, made for every kind of player, from beginners who want to explore the world in peace, to skilled survivors who wish to experience a hardcore challenge.